Berry granola cake
By the Folly Tearoom in Holt.
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 75g soft light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 300g self-raising flour, sifted
- 75g rolled oats
- 150ml clear honey
- 75g rehydrated Folly Berry Extravaganza tea (optional)
- 75ml raspberry liqueur or a raspberry cordial
- To add your own touch use any berry liqueur or cordial of your choice.
Granola topping: (top your cake or eat for breakfast)
- 80ml clear Honey
- 50g rolled oats
- 25g flaked almonds
- 25g mixed nuts, chopped.
- 25g rehydrated Folly Berry Extravaganza (optional)
Cream: a choice of two toppings
Butter cream: (the sweeter option)
- 200g unsalted butter
- 500g icing sugar
- 1tbl raspberry jam
- 1tbl Rehydrated Folly Berry Extravaganza (optional)
- 300ml double cream
- 1tbl raspberry liqueur
- Preheat the oven to 190c/170c fan/gas mark 5.
- Grease and line two 18cm loose-bottomed cake tins.
- Make a large teapot of Folly Berry Extravaganza -6 teaspoons. Leave the tea to brew and the berries to rehydrate.
- Make the Granola . Line the base of a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Heat the honey in a small saucepan. Remove from the heat and add the oats ,nuts and berries(if using) stirring to ensure they are completely coated in the honey.
- Spread the mixture onto the baking tray and bake for approx. 14 mins stirring half way through to stop the mixture sticking. The Granola should be slightly crisp and golden. Leave to cool.
- To make the cake beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Break the eggs into a separate bowl and beat then add them to the butter mix a little at a time beating well after each addition. If the mixture starts to curdle add a little flour.
- Add the remaining ingredients – flour, oats, honey, berries and liqueur - mix until combined. Divide the mixture between the tins.
- Bake for 25-30 mins until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- To make the butter cream combine the butter and icing sugar in a mixer bowl and beat until light and fluffy. Add 8 raspberries and the berry extravaganza and blend into the cream.
- If using the fresh cream option whip the cream in a mixer until it forms soft peaks -be careful not to over beat. Add the raspberry liqueur and mix until combined.
- To assemble the cake place one of the cake layers on to a serving plate. Cover the bottom layer with either the butter cream or fresh cream then lightly spoon raspberry jam on to the cream. Top with the second cake and spread the remaining cream over it. If using the butter cream you can cover the sides too. Scatter the granola topping and fresh raspberries to crown the cake.
- This cake is best kept in the fridge. Enjoy!