Gruyere and Spinach Arancini
by Eric Snaith of Eric's Thornham
- 500g risotto rice
- 500g baby spinach
- 150g gruyere cheese – small diced
- 200g parmesan – grated
- 125g butter – diced
- 2 litre vegetable stock
- 50ml white wine
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
- Eggs – whisked
- Dried breadcrumbs
- Blanch the spinach in boiling water and refresh in ice cold water. Strain and squeeze some of the water out. Blitz this into a smooth loose puree.
- In a pan, toast the risotto rice for a few minutes in just oil, then add the white wine. Once this has reduced, slowly add the vegetable stock and gently cook the risotto rice until a slight firm bite is left in the rice.
- When the rice is ready, add the cubed butter, spinach puree and grated parmesan cheese. Check the seasoning and adjust with salt/lemon juice to your taste. Then add the gruyere.
- Spread this mixture onto a flat tray and cool.
- Once cooled, weigh into 50g portions and roll into balls then chill in the fridge.
- Once fully chilled, dust with flour, dip into egg mix and cover with breadcrumbs.
- Now you are ready to fry at 180°C in vegetable oil until golden.